COVID-19 Advice to clients
  • We will not be hosting meetings at our offices until further notice.
  • We respectfully ask that our clients consider conference calls as an alternative to face-to-face meetings.
  • We have limited non-essential business travel and minimised external meetings.
  • Our teams are in constant communication and we have set up an emergency response group to co-ordinate our communications and to ensure that we take all recommended precautions.

Sponsor license for UK employers

The concept of sponsorship is at the heart of the points-based system. If you want to employ a migrant worker, you must be their sponsor during their stay in the UK (unless they are coming here for 6 months or less in certain circumstances). And before you can sponsor a migrant, you must obtain a sponsor licence.

Who does the system apply to?

The points-based system covers migrants from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland, who require leave under the Immigration Rules to work in the UK.

How the system works

Under the points-based system, most migrants must pass a points assessment before they can get permission to work in the UK.

Each of the system’s four current tiers has different requirements – the number of points the migrant needs and the way the points are awarded will depend on the tier they are applying under.

The role of the sponsor

Migrants in any tier except Tier 1 must be sponsored before they can apply. If a UK organisation wants to sponsor a migrant under Tier 2, Tier 4 or Tier 5 (Temporary workers), they must apply for a sponsor licence.

Under Tier 2 and Tier 5 (Temporary workers), the sponsor must be an employer based in the UK. Under Tier 4, the sponsor must be an education provider.

Migrants who want to come to the UK under Tier 5 (Youth mobility scheme) do not need to be sponsored by a UK employer.

What are the tiers?

The points-based system consists of five tiers. These are:

  • Tier 1 – for highly skilled workers, such as scientists and entrepreneurs
  • Tier 2 – for skilled workers with a job offer, such as teachers and nurses
  • Tier 4 – for students
  • Tier 5 – for temporary workers, such as musicians coming to play in a concert, and participants in the youth mobility scheme.
  • Tier 3 is currently suspended.
  • Our highly experienced team will help you in all above cases, leaving your mind focused on what’s most important – your business.

    Contact us

    0207 680 1880

    ©2011 - 2015 Calices Solicitors. Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. SRA No. 00558941. VAT No. GB139059205. Registered Intermediary with The Football Association No. IMS000975. | Legal Notice | Average costs for our services | Privacy Policy | Website by: Agency
    We cannot guarantee that the content is always accurate and up to date, or that it applies to your individual circumstances or the individual circumstances of your business. The content of this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for legal or professional advice. You should seek any appropriate professional advice relevant to your particular circumstances. The information on this website has been provided using sources from and (Open Government License), http://wikipedia.en (Wikipedia license). We cannot accept responsibility for the quality or accuracy of content on this website or ensure that it is presented in both English and Welsh languages.